4.26.2007

Exams...lessons or problems with the Chinese Education System

I proctored my first set of true exams this past week, and I am not sure if I walked away from the experience feeling that I learned something that should be applied to the U.S. system, or if instead I feel like the Chinese system should change. I suppose like any of the more complex issues in life (like the education system) there are bits of both.

The first thing that I would really like to change...or not...about the Chinese system is the pressure placed on this kids. There are some negatives...like expecting 7th and 8th grade students to be able to concentrate on their tests when taking 5 mid term exams in one day while there are distractions like other classes being very loud outside to keep them from concentrating on the task at hand. I think it is absurd to place 5 tests in one day, especially when we have the whole week to give exams...and then some. Because next week is the May holiday, we have classes on Saturday and Sunday to compensate for the time off. Gives a whole new definition to time off. They have plenty of opportunities to give the exams over the course of the week, but instead on Tuesday the students had a 2 hour Chinese exam, a 20 minute break, an hour history exam, a 20 minute break, an hour psychology exam, 2 hours for lunch, then two more exams in the afternoon. Five exams in one day is a lot for anyone to handle. In college, if you had more than 2 finals you could ask to get one of the changed, but not here. It is just what happens.

The part of the pressure on the students that I am not sure if I would change is that at least among the better students there is a lot of competition to do the best. These exams are all scored together and a ranking of the class is posted. We do the same thing closer to graduation, but here it starts in 6th grade. All of the kids are taking the same tests as well so it makes for a much better comparison of the different kids than the U.S. system where in some cases Honors classes and shop class grades are counted the same. Here your class rank determines where you take the tests. The first seat in the first classroom closest to the door is where the top student sits for exams. Behind her is the number 2 student and so on in a snake like pattern through all five classrooms. To be in the top 30 means a spot in the first classroom and a certain amount of prestige. There is, however, then a clear indication of who does not score well and with it a certain stigma that is attached to these kids. While the system is not perfect, I think I like it. It gives all the kids something to strive for and clearly shows who is putting in the effort to everyone else.

I have finished grading the exams and am much happier with the scores this time around than on the initial exam. Overall the kids did a lot better, probably because these scores count for rank whereas the others did not. Since about an hour after finishing the exam, I have been bombarded with kids asking what their scores were. The ones that ask are of course the ones with nothing to worry about, but they still need to remain patient. They will find out on Saturday what their grades are. I am not sure if the grades really mean much other than class rank, but for them they are very important.

I have just a few days of teaching before the break, but I am not as certain as last time if I am goin anywhere. Train tickets are in high demand over the May Holiday as this is one of just two times a year when most Chinese people travel. I find out in the next 24 hours if I have secured train tickets or not. If not, it is a week stuck in Beijing, not that this is so horrible, but I was really hoping to see some other parts of the country. If I am stuck here though, it means less expense and a chance to really explore some of the hidden parts of the city. If I am here I will write more soon, if we do go to Xi'an however, it will be after I return before I update more.

All the best...

No comments: