10.07.2006

United States Olympic Training Center pt. 2

After spending over 24 hours here, my awe and amazement at this place, and at these athletes has not diminished in the least. The amazing things that I saw in the workout pool over the last two days has continually amazed me. I have seen supposedly disabled athletes do things that my other able body athletes could only dream of. The workout quality has been spectacular, especially considering that it has all been done at altitude. In addition to the workout mentality and accomplishments, it has been awesome to see the World Championship team come together and embrace each other, cheering each other on in workout, lending a helping hand and giving each other a hard time around the dinner table. The transformation has been quick, but at the same time it has been pretty complete. I feel lucky that I have been around to watch it occur.

The food in the cafeteria has continued to amaze me. I have enjoyed just about everything that I have had with very few exceptions. Not only that, but the amount of choice that has been present at every meal has been incredible. This is just one other aspect of this weekend that has added to an awesome experience. I can’t believe that it is already almost time to go.

Throughout the weekend, I have had numerous conversations with coaches, both in and out of swimming. These conversations that I have had with other coaches have helped to increase the number of tools in my coaching toolbox, hopefully to the benefit of each swimmer I work with. It has been cool to see that there are so many people out there united with similar goals and objectives, working to keep the United States at the forefront of the athletic world. There are sets that I will take away from this weekend, but also philosophies and coaching morals that I have been reminded of.

While this weekend has ignited a spark in my professional career, the fact that I have been able to rub shoulders with elite athletes all weekend has helped to renew the desire to be in shape again, something that I have let slide over the last few years. I started today, with pretty poor results, with a run through the streets surrounding the Olympic Training Center. At altitude I felt like I went about as far as I can in Grand Rapids, though the surroundings probably helped this out. It is far easier to motivate yourself to run looking our towards the mountains, that through the streets of Eastown.

No comments: